The Lone Arrangers Keyboard Forum  
Home Register Blogs FAQ Members Calendar Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Lone Arrangers Keyboard Forum > Song / Style Sharing & Discussion > Music Workshop > Behind the Songs
Reload this Page Cumulus

Behind the Songs This forum is specifically for members wishing to explain how their music was created. Everyone welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
spike's Avatar
Deputy Sheriff & Mentor
Tyros 5,Tyros 3, Montage 6, Motif XS, Korg M3, Behringer Deepmind 12, Roland JD-XA, Roland System 8, Streichfett string synth, Maschine Mk3, Arturia D
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,236
Threads: 107
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scotland
Default Cumulus - 04-08-2010, 04:07 PM

Ok folks here's how I recorded the 2 versions of Cumulus.
They are both recorded solely on the Motif XS but using different methods.

Cumulus 1
These were recorded in Pattern Mode at 90bpm - this means recording separate phrases on 6 different tracks to form patterns for each section (verse and chorus) and then 'chaining' the patterns together. These were then converted to a 'song' and formed the backing. I then recorded extra tracks for the melody and countermelody. Mixing was done and effects added.
The completed song was then recorded into the PC and converted to Mp3 for uploading.
The tracks are as follows;
1 - Funky Resonance
2 - Dry Standard Kit
3 - Pop Bells
4 - Full Concert Grand
5 - Analogue Shine
6 - Phat Three
7 - Pan Sphere
8 - Dramana

Cumulus 2
This was recorded in Performance Mode at 70bpm
A Performance is 4 midi tracks of 1 measure loops which are arpeggiated (usually) and have chord or root note recognition - this is the nearest thing on the Motif to a style.
This was recorded in real time as a song as the following tracks
1 - Chill Out Kit
2 - Chill Comp 2
3 - Rhythmic Fill
4 - Dark Atmo Pad
Tracks 3&4 were the melody
Track 5 ( T Brass ) countermelody was added
Track 4 was now copied (and the voices changed) to track 6 (Phaze Wurli) and track 8 (Nice Bell)
These tracks were then split up so that verse 1 and chorus were track 6, verse 2 was track 8 then back to track 6 for the last verse.
Track 7 Bass (Vintage JB) was then added.
Effects were then added and mixing done on the Motif.
The song was then copied to the PC and converted to Mp3.

Hope my explanation is understandable, if not fire a question to me.

Reality is an illusion created by alcohol deficiency
Tyros 5, Tyros 3, Montage 6, Motif XS6 plus Karma, Korg M3, Behringer Deepmind 12, Roland JD-XA, Roland System 8(, Streitchfett Strings synth, Maschine Mk3, Arturia Drumbrute, MOTU 128, Fostex MR16, Tascam US122Mk2, Tascam DR40, Turbosound ip2000 Yamaha DXR12
Music Workshop
Reply With Quote


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0
vBulletin Skin developed by:
2019 The Lone Arrangers Keyboard Forum - All rights reserved
Hosting and custom code provided by iBox-Security