The Lone Arrangers Keyboard Forum  
Home Register Blogs FAQ Members Calendar Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Lone Arrangers Keyboard Forum > Discussion Forums > Yamaha Tyros 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
Reload this Page Tyros 4 Flash Memory
Notices

Yamaha Tyros 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 This forum is primarily intended for discussion, plus help & advice on the Tyros series of Yamaha keyboards. Is the new Tyros 5 on your wish list?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Tyros 4 Flash Memory
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kemo Sabe invite me to dinner
Tyros 4

Threads: 1
Question Tyros 4 Flash Memory - 14-10-2011, 05:55 PM

Hi,

As I'm sure you all know, if you want to load new voices that use wave files (samples) not already in the T4 (or Motif XS for that matter), you have to fit a flash memory board. This makes the voices available instantly (no load time) but is quite expensive with the Yamaha 1GB FL1024M available for around 240 in the UK.

There is a German company called Mutec which makes an equivalent board, the FMC-06 which Thomann sell with a three year warranty for around 160, which whilst still a lot for 1 GB of storage, is a more attractive price than the Yamaha board. They also make a 512 MB board, equivalent to Yamaha's FL512M which sells for around 30 less than the Yamaha one.

Has anyone got out there had any experience with these Mutec memory boards? Are they any good?

For the most part you tend to get what you pay for, but there are plenty of examples where the big boys (Yamaha?) use their name to justify charging silly prices for options and accessories.

Any thoughts most welcome.

Thanks

Ian
Re: Tyros 4 Flash Memory
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Deputy Sheriff & Mentor
Tyros 2, Motif XS, Korg M3, Roland Gaia SH01, Roland JX 305, Roland JV1080.

Threads: 105
Default Re: Tyros 4 Flash Memory - 15-10-2011, 09:50 AM

Hi Ian
Welcome to the forum, I agree with you regarding the rip-offs by Yamaha.
I have both the T2 and Motif and have installed extra memory cards in both.
They were somewhere around 35 for a pair of 512Mb (you have to fit them in pairs). I got them from Misco ( Misco.co.uk - Computer Hardware, Notebooks, Desktops PCs, TFTs, Printers, Servers, Accessories, Networking, Software - Misco.co.uk - Computers, Laptops, tablets, printers, monitors, hard drives, computer parts & more ? Misco.co.uk ) and they have an a freephone to order from 0800 294 4516
Hope this helps
Spike

Reality is an illusion created by alcohol deficiency
Tyros 2, Motif XS6 plus Karma, Korg M3,Roland JV1080,Roland JX 305, Roland Gaia SH01, Fostex MR16, Tascam US122Mk2, Tascam DR40
Music Workshop
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tyros 4

Default Re: Tyros 4 Flash Memory - 15-10-2011, 04:02 PM

Hi Spike,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Earlier models of Tyros and Motif used RAM for memory expansion in the form of SDRAM DIMMs, which as you point out are readily available at reasonable cost from a variety of sources. The problem with RAM is that the contents are lost when the power is switched off and the samples have to be reloaded (from hard disk or USB) each time the instrument is switched on. I don't know how long this takes, but I did see on another site that it takes around 8 minutes to load a T3 with 512 MB of samples (how long does it take to load your Motif?)

Yamaha have decided, in their infinite wisdom, that this wait is not acceptable and have based the Tyros 4 and Motif XF around flash memory for expansion in place of standard RAM. Flash memory retains it's contents when powered (like a USB pen drive) so the contents, which in this case would be sample
wave data, are available instantly when the instrument is switched on.

The user doesn't get any say in this - if you want to load new wave data into a T4 (for example Yamaha Premium Voices or TTT's theatre organ packs), it has to go into the Flash memory expansion. The T4 has one 'slot' for expansion and the Motif XF has two. Of course if you are simply editing existing voices or creating new ones that use the wave data that is already in ROM then you don't need the expansion. Yamaha are currently offering a 'free' Premium voice if you register a new Tyros 4. Of course to use it you have to buy the expansion - a bargain offer not to be missed!

Flash memory is more expensive than RAM (even without Yamaha's 'mark up'), but personally I could probably put up with the wait for the samples to load into RAM - I could use the time to count the money that I would have saved by not having to buy Flash memory!

Regards

Ian
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Deputy Sheriff & Mentor
Tyros 2, Motif XS, Korg M3, Roland Gaia SH01, Roland JX 305, Roland JV1080.

Threads: 105
Default Re: Tyros 4 Flash Memory - 15-10-2011, 04:22 PM

Hi Ian
The .wav samples I have installed in my T2 take about 1 minute to load so it's not a problem.
I haven't used any .wav samples or done any sampling with the Motif. All the extra voices, performances etc are on a USB stick and are programmed to load automatically on start up.
Yamaha have obviously spotted a way to make extra money if they've devised a new system which needs different storage.
The 'cheaper' DIMMS which I have in the T2 and Motif work fine.

Korg are the same , if you want to extend the memory of the M3 then buying their memory card is expensive, go to the people who make the cards for them and they are 1/3 the price, I eventually bought mine on e-bay from Funky Giraffe for 5.99 inc postage and it works fine.

Cheers
Spike

Reality is an illusion created by alcohol deficiency
Tyros 2, Motif XS6 plus Karma, Korg M3,Roland JV1080,Roland JX 305, Roland Gaia SH01, Fostex MR16, Tascam US122Mk2, Tascam DR40
Music Workshop
(#5 (permalink))
Old
I'm allowed to feed Tonto's horse
Tyros 4 Roland Classic Keyboard C-230 Roland Fantom-S

Default Re: Tyros 4 Flash Memory - 17-10-2011, 08:22 PM

I have been using the Mutec FMC-06 for several months now. No problems whatsoever. the board looks identical to the Yamaha one except for the colour. I'd go for it if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrosaurus View Post
Hi,

As I'm sure you all know, if you want to load new voices that use wave files (samples) not already in the T4 (or Motif XS for that matter), you have to fit a flash memory board. This makes the voices available instantly (no load time) but is quite expensive with the Yamaha 1GB FL1024M available for around 240 in the UK.

There is a German company called Mutec which makes an equivalent board, the FMC-06 which Thomann sell with a three year warranty for around 160, which whilst still a lot for 1 GB of storage, is a more attractive price than the Yamaha board. They also make a 512 MB board, equivalent to Yamaha's FL512M which sells for around 30 less than the Yamaha one.

Has anyone got out there had any experience with these Mutec memory boards? Are they any good?

For the most part you tend to get what you pay for, but there are plenty of examples where the big boys (Yamaha?) use their name to justify charging silly prices for options and accessories.

Any thoughts most welcome.

Thanks

Ian
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Tonto's mother says I will do well
Tyros 4, Oberheim MC 1000 88, Yamaha FS30, lots of computers and a funky little black number called Orak who is a PC Hackintosh

Threads: 8
Default Re: Tyros 4 Flash Memory - 17-11-2011, 07:28 PM

I have just ordered one myself, i have heard they are good.... not sure if the void the waranty as they are non genuine parts
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tyros 4

Default Re: Tyros 4 Flash Memory - 18-11-2011, 11:47 AM

Hi Setras and Alanw5,

Thanks for your replies.

I have bitten the bullet and bought the MUTEC FMC-06 a week ago. No problems with it so far.

One thing to watch out for with the flash memory, Yamaha's or anyone else's, is that the T4 operating system limits the number of waves to 8192, the number of waveforms to 1280, and the voice RAM to 6144 KB. The implications of this are that you could 'run out' of any of these even though there is plenty of unused space on the flash memory board! As an example, I have currently used 1559 wave count places (around 19% of the total), but only 87 MB of space (around 8.5%). If I continue to load voices with this ratio of wave count to wave size, I will have used up all the wave count places whilst only having filled 45% of the 1024 MB flash memory. If any of the parameter limits are reached, I will not be able to load any more voices even though 55% of the memory on the board is empty! Nice one Yamaha!

To be fair, not all voices use large amounts of waves. I have two Yamaha Premium voices loaded and they do contain large numbers. The Pan Flutes has 516 waves occupying 16 MB, and the Female Vocal has an incredible 855 waves using 24 MB! Other, non Yamaha voices seem to contain many fewer waves but this probably reflects on the quality. You would have thought that Yamaha would have taken into account their own high wave count voices when developing the flash operating system, but then again, maybe not!

Regards

Ian
(#8 (permalink))
Old
I'm new around here
Tyros 4, Roland X6

Default Re: Tyros 4 Flash Memory - 29-11-2011, 12:15 PM

Hi

I have recently purchased and installed a Mutec 512Mb board, everything seems fine so far.