The Lone Arrangers Keyboard Forum  
Home Register Blogs FAQ Members Calendar Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   The Lone Arrangers Keyboard Forum > Discussion Forums > Yamaha Tyros 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
Reload this Page Tweaked voices
Notices

Yamaha Tyros 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 This forum is primarily intended for discussion, plus help & advice on the Tyros series of Yamaha keyboards. Is the new Tyros 5 on your wish list?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Tweaked voices
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Rod
I think Tonto really likes me
Just bought a Tyros 3, and am already blown away by its capabilities. It will be connected to a Windows 7 computer shortly (hopefully compatible with

Threads: 4
Default Tweaked voices - 20-11-2012, 01:43 PM

'Afternoon all. You may recall that my chief interest lies in the sounds that makes the music, rather than the music itself, and I was hoping to be able to combine single voices and save as a new voice. This is not possible on the Tyros ... however, it is possible to combine up to 3 voices as a registration, and then save up to 8 registrations in a suitably named Registration Bank. Further, any or all of the 3 voices can be effected, especially using the Voice Editor.

With an 80Gb hard drive, it is therefore possible to save a very large number of such Banks, and use them as a Voice Bank.

This glaringly obvious solution to my problem seems too much so, so have I missed something? Haven't tried it yet - I seem to have too much 'stuff' to do ...

Stay well

Rod
Re: Tweaked voices
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Kemo Sabe invite me to dinner
Tyros 4

Threads: 1
Default Re: Tweaked voices - 20-11-2012, 05:00 PM

Hi Rod,

As you may have read 'somewhere else', registrations are simple to use, yet very powerful and very useful, and well worth the small effort involved in learning how to use.

If you want to use registrations in the way that you suggest, simply as a voice setting function, you probably don't want to change the accompaniment style or other parameters as you select them. So when you first memorise them you need to pay attention to the list of items that appear in the Registration Memory Contents screen that appears when you press 'MEMORY'. Any parameter contained within a Group selected in this list will be memorised as part of the registration that you make. So for your 'voice bank' you probably don't want to include the style or tempo.

Note that when you press the 'MEMORY' button with a registration bank already loaded, confusingly it does not show you which items are stored in that registration. It simply displays the selection status when you last used it.

Remember that as well as selecting the voices, the registration will also memorise the on/off status, volume levels, pan and other settings for each part. Note that if to want to save the voice for the LEFT part, it is included with the STYLE group, not the VOICE so this may not be feasible for your idea.

It would be worth reading up on the 'FREEZE' function in the manual. When switched on, this prevents registrations from changing various parameters memorised within them when selected, and may be useful to you using registrations as you plan.

I don't know how you are planning to keep track of your 'voice bank' . You can name a bank, and each individual registration within a bank, but there is no 'search' facility on a Tyros keyboard.

Regards

Ian
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Rod
Just bought a Tyros 3, and am already blown away by its capabilities. It will be connected to a Windows 7 computer shortly (hopefully compatible with

Default Re: Tweaked voices - 20-11-2012, 10:06 PM

Hello Ian, and thank you for your pointers on using regis for voice creation. I've been playing with the idea for a couple of hours, and it works more or less as I figured. I found that some voice parts either appeared or disappeared as I used the banks, which may be something to do with the 'freeze' facility you told me about - I'll look into that tomorrow. I remembered to change the unwanted parameters, and all in all am fairly pleased with results. But it's a taskmaster! You must do every single thing in absolutely rigid order, or get nowhere.

I don't see how to name each individual voice within a Bank, though. I can name the Banks OK, but failed to establish the method for naming each voice within it. Pointers?

Banks seem to be stored in alphabetical order, and I have yet to work out how to call up the wanted one, but it'll have to be simple enough for me to remember it!

Now that I'm able to do pretty well what I wanted to do, I'm a much happier bunny! Thanks for the help ...

Stay well

Rod
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Kemo Sabe invite me to dinner
Tyros 4

Threads: 1
Default Re: Tweaked voices - 21-11-2012, 02:36 AM

Hi Rod,

I'm glad to see that you like registrations. Good aren't they?

Regarding your 'disappearing' voices, remember that a registration memory stores not just the voices that you have selected for each part (Right 1, 2, 3 and Left), but also whether that part was switched on or off when you memorised the registration. Even if a part was off when memorised, the selected voice should still be loaded when you load the registration next time, but the part will be off. However you can turn it on or not as you wish.

Note that Registrations are very specific about where they look for the voices, styles etc. that they have stored within them. Preset voices and styles will always be in the same place, but if you have edited a voice or style, then you can choose to save it to USER, or a folder on a USB, or the internal hard disk. If you rename any of these files, or move them to another location, even without changing the name, the registration will not be able to find them and they won't be loaded.

So if you embark on a big project such as your 'voice bank', think carefully about where you want to store any non preset voices, and if necessary decide on a folder structure that will last you.

The majority of file types will be listed in alphabetical order in Yamaha's file selection screens, registrations included. However any folders will always appear above the files. It is just doing an ASCII sort so if you include numbers at the start of the name they will appear at the start of the files listing. e.g '001 Zoo' will be above 'AfilestaringwithA'. so you can name registration banks using this convention. The problem is that if you want to insert a new bank part way into the numbered series, you have to manually change all of the following banks! A lot of work if you have many banks!

I'll let you decide what works best for you.

Meanwhile here is how to name individual registrations within a bank on the Tyros ...

Press button J from MAIN screen to open the REGISTRATION selection screen.

Load a bank after navigating to it's location (USER, USB1 or HD1, then to a folder if necessary), by pressing the button next to it. The selected bank will be highlighted.

Press EDIT (lower 8 button) to open the REGISTRATION EDIT screen showing the registrations in the bank. The title of this screen is a bit misleading because all that you can do here is name or delete the registrations in a bank.

Select a registration to name and press NAME (lower 1 button).

The naming box will open at the bottom of the screen just like naming any other kind of file. You can now change the name.

When you have finished with the bank, press UP (upper 8 button). Then save the edited bank.

It can be a bit tedious entering names for more than a few registrations on the keyboard with it's character selection method, so you might like to consider downloading some software to use on your PC retrospectively that makes the process easier. Here is a link to one such piece of software ...

Bedesem - RegNameEdit

Regards

Ian
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Rod

Default Re: Tweaked voices - 21-11-2012, 10:16 AM

Good morning Ian - you're a night bird? Your hugely useful info-packed post is timed at 03.46!

I've also noticed that when effecting voices, the green light must be on over the orange light of the one you're working on in the LR1R2R3 bank. Easy to overlook! I think there's a few things like that ... another is to ensure the DSP isn't off by default in the effect/eq tab. Tricky little chap, the T3.

I've settled on a fairly standard indexing system, based on number pre-fixes as you suggest. I've used this in the past on other projects ... if I need to insert a new Bank I add an element so that, for example, Bank 01 Piano could have Bank 01a Piano to slip in between 01 and 02. I hope!

Thanks for procedure for naming regis! That'll be very useful, even essential given that my efforts do not necessarily result in a group of similar sounds ... more often the opposite!

Not sure I'll have a large number of Banks - I tend to work with a particular song in mind (right now it's Vangelis' Conquest of Paradise'). Basically piano, choir, and French horn, but what I thought was great yesterday turns out to be rubbish today, so I'm still re-working it in the same Bank. The acid test is to record your effort at playing the song, then play it back ... often excruciating ... maybe I should keep every Bank on the premise that what goes around, comes around!

Thanks for the naming site, too. I'll download that - it has to be less cumbersome than the iPhone type thing!

As an aside, I notice that only you and Spike come up with any answers or comments. I moderate another (non-music) site, and am a member of some others, and notice the same thing - there are supposedly hundreds of members, but you can count the contributors on your fingers ...

Stay well

Rod